We recently introduced you to the fantastically talented JuBillee, husband and wife duo Billy and Justine ( catch up here if you missed the article https://thinkcountrymusic.com/?s=JuBillee ) and with their debut album “ You And I” due for release this coming Friday via Vacancy Records what better time to ask them a few questions about their music? Having been privy to a sneak listen to the album already I can tell you that everything about it really impressed me, and it was great to find out a bit more about what makes them tick….I hope you enjoy out e-chat and don’t forget to check the album out later this week!
1 LH Before I ask some specific questions about your album ( that’s playing LOUD as I’m typing! ) can I ask each of you about your musical influences and inspirations ? Who were you listening to growing up, and who do you listen to these days who really ignite a spark in you and why?
J Firstly thank you and we are so glad you are enjoying our debut album…..
Well we both have slightly different musical inspirations…..
“Billy” – My musical inspirations are of a more writing and musical side to it. Artists such as Bon Jovi, Journey, Peter Cetera, Richard Marx and Queen to name a few. To this day I still love to listen to the music they created. They all inspire and guide me as I write and it sometimes comes through In my songs.
“Justine” – From a young age I have been inspired by all the big named female singers. I remember watching Leona Lewis on the X Factor every week and thinking “I want to be on a big stage like her one day”. I also love Kelly Clarkson’s sound and vocal ability.
2. LH You’ve had fantastic success with the two singles released from the album and have worked hard to build a great fanbase already, but how would you describe your music to those not familiar with your sound?
J Our music to us has a very new “unique” sound which we feel will get major attention in the industry. It’s very Pop Country with “Attitude” and “Sass”… Along with the clever musical patterns it delivers a quirky yet dynamically vocal performance throughout. It brings out the best in our style, Vocal abilities and personality which is imperative in this industry.
3. LH Both singles have great videos to accompany them…as different stylistically as the songs themselves…is that a side of things you are enjoying creating?
J Thank you….
Absolutely! We have loved shooting the videos. Getting really creative with video and acting is something we also love to do and feel we haven’t done enough of. It’s so exciting getting to perform to the camera in a slightly different light, with a different perspective, and we are so excited to get onto the next video for…….well wait and see!!
4. LH How did you select the album’s twelve tracks….most of which are outside cuts I see…..what does a song need to have for you gravitate towards it?
J We all as a team chose the 12 tracks. We knew exactly what sound we were going for, so we tactically tailored, recorded and produced the tracks to suit our style and sound.
When we are deciding on material or writing material, we look for things like “a hook”….”amazing harmonies”…. strong instrumentation”….. and as aforementioned “sass”.
5. LH But the title track is of your own composition….can you tell me a bit about the writing process for “ You and I ” please?
J You and I was written with the progression and light of our Journey in mind. We really wanted to give the fans something personal and share the journey with them. At the end of the day, as the lyrics state.. “this is the time” and “this is dream” and we “had to work hard for this moment”.
So we felt the lyrics were so appropriate to us and We hope everyone loves and identifies with the song.
6. LH Do you each have a track you’re particularly excited to be putting out into the world next Friday?
J Ooooh, We really love them all, but we would have to say the three songs we are looking forward to everyone hearing are “Getting Over You”, “I Wonder Who is Loving You Tonight” and “You and I”. All for different reasons but we feel our fans will really connect with these three. Although, as we said, they’re all so good and we are so thrilled to have such a strong debut album.
LH Yes, it’s a release you deserve to be very proud of.
7. LH Congratulations, too, on joining Vacancy Records. How much difference has this made to you as opposed to having to fly solo with the album?
J Yeah it’s so great. It takes a good amount of pressure off us, as there’s a lot out with the music side of things that we aren’t connected with and haven’t experienced before. The label have vast experience and have really been great helping us with that.
They really do so much behind the scenes for us. It’s perfect as it lets us concentrate on the music side of things and not have any worries elsewhere. We are just so happy to have such a great opportunity.
8. LH And how will you ( and your three sons, who have the album dedicated to them I see! ) celebrate on album release day?
J It’s so exciting. We are all going to have a family party In the house. We will play the album through a large speaker (at full volume), and dance around the living room. The boys now know all the songs and love them, so no doubt it will be noisy come November 6.
9. LH I know you have embraced social media to keep connected with fans while unable to tour, but the energy of this album really screams “ live shows” to me! When you do get back out on the road, what can we expect from a JuBillee gig?
J Yes.. You hit the nail on the head!!
That’s exactly our aim. We are born entertainers at the end of the day, and belong on the stage. We are missing it so much, and cannot wait to belt out our songs to our amazing fans who have been so supportive. They are really excited to see us live on stage. So expect lots of gigs from JuBillee.
The circumstances have been so unfortunate. Not being able to tour has been so hard but we will all get there eventually.
Thank you so much for the interview
LH A pleasure! Thanks for your time…..Let’s hope we get the chance to meet at one of your shows before too long!