Hello Think Country! Wow, summer has certainly hit…what a scorcher!
My name is Melanie (Mel) Fielden and I’m the founder of the fashion brand Melbelle Western x Boho. Melbelle is an online women’s fashion boutique specialising in modern western and romantic bohemian styles, but you can also find us in our pop-up stall at UK music festivals and country shows throughout the summer including The Long Road.
Each month I’ll be giving you the low-down on what’s trending in the western fashion scene and sharing ideas on how you can take inspiration and incorporate these trends into your outfits. We’ll also find the best places to shop!
In July’s feature, we’ll explore three western-themed summer styles to enjoy in these record-breaking temperatures…
Summer Style #1: Gingham
The gingham checked pattern is frequently spotted throughout the southern states of America, featuring in men’s shirts, ladies’ fashion pieces, tablecloths and even wallpaper.
- For a subtle touch, add a cute gingham headscarf, like this one from ASOS
- Perfect for holidays, grab yourself a gingham bikini. This can also double up as a festival or summer BBQ outfit by adding a pair of Wrangler denim shorts and aviator sunglasses or some vintage 50’s-inspired sunglasses.
- Gingham dresses are classic western and southern summer go-to’s. Choose between a gingham maxi dress or summer mini dress.
The Gingham Plaid Smocked Flare Dress by Melbelle
Summer Style #2: Horses
A cowgirl’s best friend, it wouldn’t be western without horses! There are plenty of ways you can feature horses in your summer outfit; here are a few suggestions:
- A horse-print dress, such as Melbelle’s Horse Print Long Sleeved Mini Dress (pictured below)
- For a casual style, add a baseball cap with horse design to your favourite shorts and tee outfit (adding cowboy boots for an extra western touch)
- Adding a western buckle belt is a simple way to add a western element to any outfit. A belt can be added to jeans, shorts or over a dress. I love this beautiful horse belt buckle on Etsy.
- This gem of an upcycled denim jacket with embroidered horse head design would look great over a dress or top and skirt for cooler days/evenings.
Summer Style #3: Denim
A western staple, denim is a must-have for every season. Tip: for hotter temperatures, chambray fabric achieves the same look but in a lighter weight fabric.
- Denim shorts and cowboy boots are a summer favourite. Wear with a graphic tee, a bikini top or a vest top. P.S. Levi have a good selection of denim shorts on sale currently!
- This year, denim rompers are very much trending in the American western scene and I love this one from our friends across the pond at Rock and Roll Denim. Add any or all of the following to cowgirl it up: a cowboy hat, belt and cowgirl boots.
- A lightweight alternative to a denim dress, this chambray dress from Melbelle looks fabulous paired with cowgirl boots and a hat (pictured below).
The Nashville Chambray Dress by Melbelle
I’ll be back next month for the next Melbelle Fashion Roundup; meanwhile be sure to come and say hello over on Instagram – I’d love to hear your thoughts about this blog feature and of course, for you to share your summer outfits with me!