I love any opportunity to discover new artists and review their material. So when I was asked to review the latest EP from UK talent Jeannine Barry of course I said yes.
The collection was recorded in Nashville, is titled ‘ Off The Hook’ , and features six tracks – speaking of the tracks, there’ s a real eclectic mix of here, some with a more rockier edge, whilst others are blissful pop/countrycrossover tracks.
1) Off The Hook The EP opens with the title track and and what was the first single released from the project. Lyrically it’ s about a break up, and mixes Jeannine’ s vocal with a rocky country vibe perfectly.
2) Lonely Road It’ s a little less in your face but nevertheless Lonely Road is a catchy song. Sung ina higher keyit really gives Jeannine’ s incredible vocal range a chance to shine.
3) Us Or Drinking With a beautiful mellow sound Us Or Drinking lyrically demonstrates maturity that is beyond Barry’ s years. Tackling the subject of how alcohol can ruin a relationship she gives her lover an ultimatum, it’ s him or the drink. My standout track from the EP.
4) Undeniable Undeniable is quite possibly the most country sounding song out of the bunch. Onfirst listen the intro was reminiscent of Kelsea Ballerini’ s “Dibs”It’ s got a pretty melody and heartfelt lyrics and would make an excellent contender for single #3.
5) Carousel Carousel is the current single and is pop/country gem, and inmy opinion, the strongest of the singles so far. It contains my favourite lyrics “we messed it up we can’ t go back now can’ t you see” and has been on repeat.
6) Long Hot Summer The final song is Long Hot Summer. I absolutely adore the vocal delivery on this one, smooth and so effortless the song tells the tale of a summer romance. A sweet song and a nice way to finish the EP.This being my first impression of Jeannine’ s material I have to say I was blown away by her talent. I hope there’ s an album coming soon.